Since 'coming home to Newport' in 2000, I have been actively involved in the following local Newport issues. This is a summary of my involvement:
These issues are important to the residents of District 75. I have made them important to me. I am available on a full-time basis to serve the needs of the residents of District 75.
- Proposed a Pedestrian Walkway/Bike Path from downtown Newport to Admiral Kalbfus Road.
- Served over 5 years on the Newport Planning Board and the Aquidneck Island Planning Commission [and has never missed a meeting].
- Have been actively involved in the 'evaluation' of the proposed LNG tanker traffic on Narragansett Bay and the associated impact on Aquidneck Island.
- Was an ex-officio member of the Task Force which worked with Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth council members and planners; Navy Station Newport; RI Coastal Resources Center; RIDEM; RIDOT; RIBTA; Statewide Planning, and the Chamber of Commerce to develop the West Side Master Plan.
- Served on the North End Master Plan Study Group, the Broadway / Marlboro Street Intersection Study, and the Mary Street Parking Lot sub-committees.
- Took the initiative in 2004 to save the historic Old Colony & Newport Railway from a RIDOT ordered shutdown.
- Has been, and continues to be, an active member of the Broadway Improvement Organization.
- Has been actively involved, as the Planning Board secretary, in the following cases:
- Bellevue Gardens Redevelopment
- 80 Rhode Island Ave Design Review
- Sheffield School Rezoning
- The Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority proposed EZ-Pass program.
- The proposed RIPTA service reductions and the resulting loss of bus service to and from, as well as within Newport.